The Publishing Ecosystem: An Open Conversation with Researchers and Editors
May 2, 2018
5:30 - 8:00 pm
American College of Physicians
190 N. Independence Mall W.
Philadelphia, PA 19106
The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) will feature a panel of STEM, and social science creators/consumers who will offer their individual perspectives on the scholarly publishing process. Using an open dialogue format rather than formal presentations, participants will look deeply into the publishing ecosystem, discuss what is important to them, and answer questions about how the community can improve and sustain growth in a mutually beneficial environment.
We invite attendees to come with an open mind and questions that explore such topics as:
- the current publishing experience – the good, bad, and ugly struggle researchers experience to get published
- the relevance of peer review (both traditional and new forms) for today’s researcher
- the shifting importance of preprints as research outputs and measures of productivity
- how researchers decide where to submit their manuscript
- the ongoing debate on impact factor, altmetrics, and appropriate research evaluation measures
- public access/open access for publications and data sharing -- what matters to/affects you?
- Dannagal G. Young, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Communication, University of Delaware
- Dr. Willie H. (Billy) Oglesby, PhD, MBA, MSPH, FRSHP, FACHE, Associate Dean for Academic & Student Affairs, Thomas Jefferson University, College of Population Health
- Dr. David Salas-De La Cruz, Assistant Professor and Faculty Director Leap Fabrication Laboratory, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-Camden
- Aaron Sorensen, Director of Data Science Insights, Digital Science, and Scientometrics, Editor for the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, IOS Press
- Ashani T. Weeraratna, Ph.D., Ira Brind Professor, Co-Program Leader Immunology, Microenvironment and Metastasis, Melanoma Research Center, The Wistar Institute
- Christine Laine, MD, MPH, Editor in Chief, Annals of Internal Medicine; Senior Vice President, American College of Physicians, Inc.
Join us for great conversation, networking, and refreshments.
SSP Members: $20
Due to restrictions at the venue, registration for this event will close on April 29, 2018. We regret that walk-in registrations cannot be accepted for this event.
To register for this event please log in or create a profile
Thank you to our Sponsors:
No refunds will be processed for regional events. SSP encourages you to send a substitute in your place if you cannot attend. In the event SSP needs to cancel a regional event we will apply your registration to the next regional event in your area.
SSP reserves the right to cancel any program. In the unlikely event of cancellations, SSP is not responsible for any costs, damages, or other expenses of any kind, including and without limitation, transportation and/or hotel costs incurred by registrant. Speakers are subject to change without notice.